In August 2021, the Neill-Cochran House Museum launched a virtual tour of their property in central Austin. The tour offers a narrated, 360º view of the historic site, providing increased access for those who are either mobility impaired or unable to visit the site in person. The accompanying audio provides historical context for the Greek Revival architecture, interior furnishings and exhibitions, and outbuilding that served as living quarters for enslaved residents—the only intact structure of its type remaining in the city.
One of the oldest homes in Austin, the Neill-Cochran House was constructed in 1855 by local builder, designer, and businessman Abner Cook. Originally designed as a residence, the building served as a state-funded school for the blind and then as a federal war hospital during the latter half of the Civil War before being occupied by two prominent Austin families, the Neills and the Cochrans. The Cochrans lived in the home until the National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Texas (NSCDA-TX) acquired the house in 1959.
This program is made possible in part by a grant from Humanities Texas.